Wednesday, October 15, 2014

DIY Marble Macbook


I popped a photo on Instagram this morning and got so many enquiries on how I made my "Marble" Macbook.

I had seen a DIY on Pinterest and it looked so simple and stylish I thought I would give it a try.
It's a fun little project that adds a little something to my boring laptop. I'm not sure how long it will be before the edges peel off but we will see how we go!

I found the DIY instructions on Designlykke
Here they are -

Hey guys! Thank you all for the respond on my Mac. Means a lot to see that it appealed to so many around the world. I’ll try and guide you through how I did it.  First and foremost you need marble contact paper. This you can buy in a local hobby shop, on the internet or maybe on Ebay?


Cut this to around the same size as your Mac. I’ve used a utility knife to draw it up, then cut out. Remove the foil and add it slowly and carefully on the Mac (please be careful about air bubbles) Once you’ve got the foil on, remove it with the utility knife. Important, knife has to be sharp.


The Apple logo will show through the foil, but if you want to do as I have done, you can lift up the screen so the light will come through, then cut it out with the utility knife (but be careful, do not use excessive force, as you may damage the original logo)


Doesn't it look great?

**A couple of things I did differently from the original DIY** 

I picked my contact paper up from my local newsagent but I have heard you can find it at Bunnings or Officeworks.

When it came to the corners of the laptop, it was hard to round off the edges and make them stick evenly so I popped a couple of tiny slits in the paper to let out air bubbles and stick the contact down more firmly.

I didn't do the last step of cutting out the apple logo as I was worried about cutting it wonky or damaging my laptop. Once the laptop is open the light shines through the logo quite easily.

What do you think?
Do you decorate your laptop to make checking emails more fun? ;)


Original DIY instructions and DIY photos via Designlikke.com
Top photo my own

2 comments:

Thanks for reading x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover